This guide helps new volunteers and their trainers assess how SLATE is employed during each of the co-mentoring training sessions. New volunteers should go through this guide with the mentors they observe and lead with, a coach or representative of the onboarding committee to foster meaningful learning dialogue to help the better understand the SLATE methodology. When you lead the session during co-mentoring you are the “mentor” in this observation.
Stop and Suspend Judgment
· Was the purpose of the meeting clearly stated?
· How did the mentor demonstrate his or her focused attention to the client?
· In what ways did the mentor engage the client?
· How did the mentor suspend judgment while the client spoke?
Listen and Learn
· In what ways did the mentor exhibit active listening and ask questions to help the client think deeply?
· How was the mentor learning more about the client’s needs and objectives as time went along?
Assess and Analyze
· How did the mentor use exploratory dialogue including questions to help the client assess the issues?
· In what ways did the mentor help the client analyze the issues logically and methodically so that he or she could determine the best course of action?
Test Ideas and Teach with Tools
· How did the mentor provide opportunities for testing to discover the best idea or to refine an idea?
· What types of tools did the mentor suggest to expand the client’s knowledge?
· In what ways did the mentor help the client learn more about his or her idea as the session went along?
Expectations Setting and Encourage the Dream
· How did the mentor end the session?
· Were clear expectations and appropriate next steps determined?
· In what ways did the mentor provide encouragement for entrepreneurship?
· Did the mentor talk specifically about a next meeting?
- Are there any areas of the SLATE methodology where you will have particular strengths?
- Are there any elements of SLATE that might be areas of weakness for you? If so, how can you improve on these areas?
- How will you ensure that you are applying the SLATE methodology throughout your mentoring?
- SLATE is the mentoring process. What about the techical and business related content of mentoring?
- Do you know how to find local and national SCORE mentors who can help you with this client in areas you are not expert?
- Do you know how to find SCORE and other resources that you can use and/or refer the client to?
- Are there areas that you can self-develop with workshops and other training resources such as those on the SCORE.org website and in the SCORE Volunteer Center?