This program is a call to action for business owners to develop a plan for exiting their business, or assess the current plan they have in place to ensure their future success. To accomplish this, the program is broken down into three chapters:
- Succession Planning
- Retirement Planning
- Estate Planning
SCORE has partnered with MassMutual to equip new business owners with guidance on how to exit their business. By taking into consideration succession planning, retirement planning, and estate planning, business owners can begin to develop a strategy to secure their future and the future of their business. This program focuses on the tactical steps business owners can take now to create a plan for exiting their business smoothly.
Use the materials and assets outlined below to help you execute this program in your chapter. Client engagement data shows that local workshop programs are a way to meet the needs of the small business community as effectively or even more effectively than mentoring.
We want to ensure you are equipped to answer some of the questions you may encounter during and after the workshop. We encourage you to reach out to local professionals to help in delivering this content or to attend the workshop as experts.
Preparing for the Workshop
- Facilitator’s Guide: Use this guide to support you in facilitating and coordinating logistics for the workshop. This guide outlines best practices for facilitators, the training goal and learning objectives, and tips for planning the workshop.
- Facilitator eLearning Module: Complete this eLearning module prior to serving as a facilitator for this workshop. This module will provide you with the foundational knowledge needed to present the workshop content. The module is now available on SCORE Training.
The marketing assets include:
- Template Flyer (editable)
- Mentoring Sign-up Sheet
- Social Media Promotions
- Press Release
- Course Description
- Course Talking Points
Presenting the Program
- PowerPoint Presentations – This workshop comes with 3 PowerPoint decks to present each chapter of content. The notes section of each PowerPoint is where you will find the facilitator’s notes for this training. These notes will serve as a guide for delivering the curriculum.
- Sign-in Sheet – Ask each participant to fill out the sign-in sheet as they enter the workshop. This allows them to express an interest in mentoring too.
- Evaluation Sheet – Handout this evaluation sheet at the end of the program and ask participants to fill it out in order to provide their feedback.
Please see below for Simple Steps for Exiting Your Business related content that can be found on SCORE.org
Chapter 1: Succession Planning