All of the provisions expressed in the Code of Ethics are set forth for the purpose of protecting SCORE clients, SCORE volunteers and the SCORE Association. Where one or more of these provisions works to the detriment of a SCORE client, however slight that detriment may be, a variance may be granted where the SCORE Association Vice President of Field Operations deems it appropriate to do so.
The process is as follows:
- The request shall be made in writing by the affected client or volunteer.
- The request shall set forth the reasons in full as to why any provision(s) of the SCORE Code of Ethics as written will work to the detriment of the client.
- The request shall state that the client has had ample opportunity to consult competent professionals (lawyer, accountant, etc.) and is satisfied that the variance is in his/her best interests.
- The request shall be submitted to the chapter chair who may make a recommendation as to the disposition of this matter and will forward the matter to the District Director.
- The District Director may then make a recommendation and will forward the matter to the SCORE Vice Prsident of Field Operations.
- The SCORE Vice President of Field Operations will render a decision in writing with copies to all parties.