SCORE Western North Carolina (#242) mentor Tom Sweeney introduces new clients to SCORE with the following email and 7 guiding questions. While the questions are not mandatory, the chapter has found this to be a very useful tool for helping clients start to determine their readiness for entrepreneurship and SCORE mentoring. Thanks to Tom and the chapter for sharing this resource!
Hello: I have been assigned to be your initial SCORE mentor. For our first meeting we will assume you are not currently operating a business or non-profit. You and I will meet for an initial meeting and discuss your needs and goals for creating the company or organization you will desire. Once we have a clear picture of what you want to build, and where you want to go, I will bring in subject matter expertise as needed. Our first meeting will last one hour, and the following questions/answers, provided ahead of time, will help steer us so that we get the best results in that first hour. Your answers are confidential. There are no wrong answers, and you can wait until the meeting to answer these questions with me.
- What is the name of your potential business/organization? Where will it operate?
- If your business/organization is successful what will be the product or service, you deliver. Be specific as this will steer the rest of our conversation.
- What is your business /organization providing that will make people come to you? Who else is out there doing what you’re doing?
- How will you decide what to charge for your products or services? What do your competitors charge? Cashflow is how you’ll measure the health of your business?
- How will you measure the success of your company/organization? This is how you’ll measure the progress your making.
- What experience do you have in running a business or non-profit?
- How will you fund your business/organization for at least 6 months (minimum) with no income? What funds do you have for reserves?