SCORE HQ released recommendations which most of you should have seen in a general email from Bridget Weston today. The recommendation is that locally we cease all face-to-face client activities.
The chapter's management team agrees. Earlier in the week Dave Harris led the initiative to start putting contingency plans in place.
It makes sense to take a step back for a few days until we can get a better vision of the near term. Next week we will evaluate where things seem to be going and look further out.
Here is what we have done so far:
- Workshops - we cancelled 6 workshops today through March 24th.
- Rosario is handling the notifications - clients, presenters, venue, marketing affiliates (SBA, MeetUp)
- Tom Jaeger will handle any refunds due
- Special Events - workshops with the City of Ft Lauderdale and the City of Oakland Park have been postponed. A program with the Haitian community for next week is being reviewed
- Tim Haider is working on those
- Mentoring - We are assuming that most volunteers will want to limit face-to-face mentoring. If you do, we'd like you to keep mentoring via phone, video, or email to keep providing service to people requesting assistance. Requests have slowed but are still coming in.
- An online training has been scheduled by Dave Harris with Barry Dickler on March 24th at 4 PM to train mentors on using ZOOM video. Barry has been using video for a few years now to mentor so he knows the ropes.
- Invitations have been sent out to the volunteers who do the most mentoring.
- Let me know if you did not get an invitation but would like to participate
- We all have free Zoom video accounts through SCORE if we want them. The training would be a good way to come up to speed on the best online meeting technology that is currently available.
- Mentoring Assignments will continue to be made,
- The online mentoring location calendars will be left open so people know we are operating.
- Those of you using the calendar can contact any clients requesting a meeting with you and arrange a phone or video mentoring session.
- As always, you can self-manage your availability on the calendar.
- Those not on the location calendars will continue to receive assignments by email
- David Solomon will make the assignments.
- Let him know if there are changes to your normal availability.
- Please arrange video or phone appointments with the clients
- Chapter Administration - Unless the courthouse is closed we will keep the downtown office open for administrative purposes. The volunteers normally scheduled can come in, if they are so inclined, and man the phones and/or do phone/video mentoring from there. That's voluntary. If some of you who do not normally go into the office would like to offer coverage, let me know. We only need one or two volunteers Monday - Friday 10 AM - 2 PM.
- The assumption is that there could be an increase in phone traffic with the above changes to workshops and mentoring,
- We will stay fluid on the office being open
That is the latest. Let me know if I missed anything.
We have a lot of momentum going into this with a full calendar of workshops, conferences, and community partnership events. If I was still running a business I'd be saying that we are only in the first quarter of the year. We have three more quarters to make up any lost ground so let's stay focused.
SCORE Broward is not a business. But we are a business-focused community service. From everything I can see, when the dust settles, the business owners and entrepreneurs in our local communities will need your knowledge and guidance more than ever. So stay sharp. Think of what we can do to help people work through this so they hit the ground running when the cloud lifts.
With everything I am hearing and seeing in the media there will be strong government initiatives that focus on small businesses. SCORE is one of the front-line organizations positioned to help make things happen. When people ask you what you did during the Corona pandemic you might have a good story to tell.
Thanks for all you do. It makes a difference in people's lives.
SCORE Broward Chapter Chair