Audience: All Volunteers
Volunteer profiles are an important tool to help clients connect with mentors for help with their business. All Active Mentors profiles are searchable on www.score.org and all local websites to not only better serve our clients, but also to increase your ability to identify expertise. As part of the Onboarding, all active volunteers should complete their SCORE Profile in Engage.
Your SCORE Profile should have the following:
- Must have a photo associated with the account or an avatar icon is put in place of your missing photo.
- Must provide a profile summary (“How I Can Help You” information for clients).
- Must select or update the languages section of your profile.
- Must select a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 6 areas of expertise and 6 industries.
- Must select at least one mentoring method.
Table of Contents:
- Update your Profile
- Volunteer Profile Information Displayed on the Website
- Volunteer Demographics
- Profile Picture
- Profile Review Requirement
- How to Pause Mentoring Assignment
- Volunteer Profile FAQs
Update Your Profile
1.) From the homepage, select My Profile from the top navigation bar.
2.) Then, click the Edit button.
3.) Volunteer Name and Chapter - Required fields in this section include your First Name and Last Name. Use the scroll bar on the right to scroll down to the other information in your profile. For Mac Users, make sure that the scrollbar is always set to show.
4.) Volunteer Classification and Status - You can review your current classification and status from this page. If you want to update your current classification, you can send a request to your Chapter Manager for a classification upgrade.
- Emeritus Status: Emeritus is no longer a volunteer status but can still be an identity from a volunteer's profile. To properly use this field (by selecting YES from the drop-down options), the volunteer status needs to be marked as Resigned. Emeritus members do not have access to Engage.
- Inactive Override: Your coach or the Chapter Manager or the Volunteer Intake Coordinator can move your status to Inactive and you can stay Inactive for 90-days. After 90 days, you can still extend your Inactive status to an additional 60 or 90 days by using this field.
5.) Contact Details - Your SCORE Email account is listed in this section. You can modify your Personal Email address on the field provided and then indicate your Preferred Contact Method to be set as Email, Phone, or Text. Optionally, you can also enter a Secondary Phone number and Fax number.
6.) Mentors Request Settings - As a Mentor, you have the ability to accept direct requests and specify your maximum weekly requests limit.
Accept Direct Requests: Checking this box will allow you to receive mentoring requests directly from a client. If you choose to accept direct requests, you will receive e-mail notifications directly from the client through SCORE’s website. Your local Client Intake Coordinator will not get notification of direct requests. If you check Accept Direct Requests:
- Please indicate the number of requests you will accept weekly in the Maximum direct client weekly requests field: Leave blank for unlimited requests.
- Request Limit Reached: This check box will automatically be checked when your weekly request limit has been reached.
- Direct Client Requests last 7 days: This shows the number of direct requests a mentor has received in the last 7 days.
- Serve Clients Outside of Local Area: This field does not affect anything on your online profile. Selecting YES means that your name will appear on other chapters' co-mentoring search page so that a lead mentor from another chapter would be able to select you as their co-mentor.
- Send Not Counseled Report Email: Mentors can check this option to receive a weekly reminder with a list of their client requests without any sessions.
- Pause Mentor Assignments: Check this box if you are temporarily unavailable to accept new client assignments. Please uncheck this box once you are available to resume client assignments. Note: For Mentors who accept direct requests, please uncheck the box to Accept Direct Requests if you do not want to receive direct requests while you are unavailable. You will need to re-check the box to Accept Direct Requests once you are available again.
- Pause Mentor Assignments End Date: Please indicate the date you are available to resume client assignments. Please delete the date once you are available to resume client assignments.
How to Pause Mentoring Assignments - If you need to change your availability temporarily, follow the instructions below. Only the volunteer themselves, CIC, VIC, and Chapter Manager are able to modify these fields.
a.) From the homepage, select My Profile from the top navigation bar.
b.) Then, click the Edit button.
c.) Under the Volunteer Classifications and Status section, scroll down to Pause Mentor Assignments and check the box. Checking this box will pause your availability for new mentoring and your name will not be listed on the Assignment Page (from the CIC's view).
d.) Optional Step: You can also set a Pause Mentor Assignments End Date (see screenshot above). Entering an end date means that you would like to end the pause of your new mentoring assignment on the date indicated in this field. It ends after midnight on the end date selected.
e.) For Mentors who accept direct requests, please also do this required step. Uncheck the box to Accept Direct Requests if you do not want to receive direct requests while you are away.
7.) Volunteer Profile Information Displayed on the Website
Profiles for volunteers with a classification of Mentor and a status of Active will be visible on your Chapters website and SCORE’s website.
Only the fields containing the Volunteer Name, Chapter Name, Fluent Languages, Profile Summary “How can you help SCORE clients?”, Areas of Expertise, Industry Experience, and Mentoring Methods will appear on SCORE’s websites.
Your Profile Picture will also appear on the websites.
- Your online Volunteer Profile URL is provided in this section of your profile. You can share this direct link with your clients too.
- Fluent Languages: Select from the available language list by clicking the language and click the arrow to move your selected item to the right. To select multiple options, press the CTRL key and click (for Windows) or press the Command key and click (for Mac).
- Profile Best Practices.
- Subject Matter Expertise: Enter keywords and phrases separated by a comma that best describe your expertise. This field is used by the Client Intake Coordinator to find the best match between a Mentor and a Client. This also helps Mentors find expertise that they may not have to help a client. Click here to view Profile Best Practices.
- Areas of Expertise and Industry Experience: Select from the available option listed on the left box, then click the arrow to move your selected item/s to the right. You are required to choose at least one Area of Expertise and Industry Experience.
- Mentoring Methods: You can identify your mentoring methods by selecting all options or at least one from the available list. All Active Mentors and Subject Matter Experts must have at least one Mentoring Method. Also, selecting Email, Phone, and/or Video mentoring methods extend your mentoring coverage to other zip codes.
- Education (Details): Enter your educational background in this field. This is also the best place where you can add your industry-specific certifications. There is a 32,768 character limit in this text field. This is an optional field.
8.) Address Information - Enter your mailing address and secondary address on the text boxes provided. Your address information is not shared or visible on SCORE's websites.
9.) Volunteer Demographics
Please select the demographic that best describes your Race, Gender, Ethnicity, etc. If you prefer not to identify with the choices provided, please select Choose Not to Respond.
Note: This section is required as part of the onboarding requirements for provisionals. All fields are required to be completed by all classifications.
- Work Experience: You can share your work experience by entering it in the text field provided. This will not be visible in your online profile. And there is a 32,768 character limit in this text field. You can also copy and paste your resume to this field.
10.) Social Media Information - This section is best used to share your social media channels. This is not used to promote your business. The information entered here will not be shown on SCORE's websites.
11.) System Information - This next section provides information specific to your profile in Engage such as your completed training modules. The fields in these sections are not editable on your profile page. To complete your training requirements, you should Access the Online Learning link from the homepage.
- Mentoring Info Complete- This field calculates the values entered on the required fields under Volunteer Profile Information Displayed on the Website section. A Yes in this field indicates that all of the fields (except Subject Matter Expertise field) has been filled out. This is only required for classifications: Mentors and Subject Matter Experts.
- Demographic Info Complete - This field calculates the values entered on the required fields under the Volunteer Demographics section. A Yes in this field indicates that all of the fields (except the Spouse Name field) has been filled out. This is required for all classifications.
- The System Information section also shows the Number of Accepted Assignments Last 60 days and the Code of Ethics Due Date. Also in this section are the fields showing your Active Positions and which chapters you are serving these active positions.
All Active Mentors must have a photo associated with their account. Here are the steps to upload a picture to your profile page in Engage.
Recommendation: Your photo looks best on the website if they are in landscape orientation with your head occupying no more than 75% of the height of the photo. Also, please upload a high-resolution photo which should have at least 300 ppi (pixels per inch).
1.) From your Profile page, click Upload Picture.
2.) Click Choose a file and this will allow you to select a photo from your local device. All image files are supported including .gif, .jpg, and .png
3.) After selecting the appropriate image file, the filename should appear under item 1. Click Upload and the system will both upload and save the changes. If you do not want to continue any of these actions, you can select either of the Cancel buttons on this window.
Volunteer Profile Review Requirements
All volunteers are encouraged to update their Volunteer Profiles annually.
Volunteer Profile FAQs for Engage
Common Concerns and Answers:
Make my profile visible on the website.
-- Mentor profile detail page is published on the website, so you can view it by going directly to the URL.
-- Mentor will appear in "Meet Our Mentors" content band, and you can click their image/name to go to their profile detail page.
-- This does NOT directly affect whether the mentor shows up in National or Chapter mentor searches. That is based on the items below.
"Accept Direct Requests" is checked and they have not reached their limit:
-- They will show up in search results (National and Chapter site)
-- Their button will say "Contact [Mentor first name]"
"Accept Direct Requests" is checked, but request limit is reached -
-- The button (click to action button or CTA) will be converted to a "Browse similar mentors" link (based on matching taxonomies)
-- They will NOT appear in mentor search results (National and Chapter).
-- However, they will continue to show in "Our Mentors" content band.
-- So you can view their profile directly if you have a link, or if you click their picture from the "Our Mentors" area, but you will see "Browse similar mentors" instead of a button to click.
Accept direct request is unchecked (but make my profile visible is checked):
-- Button to click will be "Contact [First name]'s Chapter"
-- Appears on "Our Mentors" content band.
-- Will NOT appear in national or chapter search results.
-- You can find them from the "Our Mentors" content band, but they won't be visible on mentor search (like when someone has clicked "browse for similar mentors" from a different profile).
1) Can volunteer profiles go live without a picture uploaded?
- Yes. Engage will post your online profile if you are an Active (status) Mentor (classification).
2) Can volunteer profiles go live without the “How Can You Help SCORE Clients” section completed?
- No. This is a required field for all active mentors.
3) Can volunteer profiles go live without selecting up to 6 skills and 6 industries?
- Yes. Engage only requires a minimum of one selection for each skill and industry field.
4) Can volunteer profiles go live without making a preferred language(s) selection?
- No. Engage requires having at least one selection in this field.
5) Can volunteers choose Email, Video, or Phone mentoring without having the Business Advice Now certification?
- Yes. Email Mentoring is going away in Engage. Mentors can now select any of the four Mentoring Methods - email, in person, phone, video.
6) Is the headquarters staff notified when a profile goes live?
- No. Engage automatically puts your profile online if you meet the criteria of being an Active (status) Mentor (classification).
7) What happens if changes/updates are not made within the time frame? What is the timeframe?
- The headquarters staff will review your online profile to ensure that it is within the standards of SCORE. We will contact you if changes or improvements are needed. We spot check live profiles from time to time and will email mentors if we find anything that needs correction.
8) Can I call or email National for help making changes/updates to my profile?
- The National Advisory Council (NAC) has provided the guidelines on how to complete and optimize your profile, Profile Best Practices - Guideline. If you need additional assistance, please contact email@example.com.