Audience: Coach, Volunteer Intake Coordinator, Chapter Manager
Once a prospective volunteer has completed the interview phase and is accepted by the chapter, they move to provisional status. The provisional volunteer will receive a welcome email and passport to the system. The provisional period lasts 90 days and it is during this time that the volunteer needs to complete all onboarding requirements.
Note: To view the full list of notifications for the Volunteer Journey, click here. (You must be signed into your @scorevolunteer.org account.)
Table of Contents:
Volunteer Intake Coordinator
- Onboarding Process
- Notes for the Coach
- How to Add a Co-Mentor - Coach Only
- Extend Provisional Onboarding Timeline
- How to Add/Edit a Note in the Application Page
- How to Update your Profile in Engage (Volunteer)
Assigning a Coach
Policy change: Volunteer Intake Coordinators will be notified of the acceptance of an applicant, prompting them to login to Engage and assign a Coach.
The Volunteer Intake Coordinator is responsible for assigning a coach to provisional volunteers. Once a coach is assigned, the volunteer and coach are notified via email. The volunteer is able to review and begin new training requirements and the Coach guides the Provisional volunteer in completing the Onboarding Checklist.
1) From the Home Page, select Applications by Status.
2) Type ‘provisional’ into the search box to find the correct record. Once identified, click View. You may also search them by name.
3) On the application record page, click the Assign Coach button.
4) Check the box next to the name of the Coach you would like to assign and click Next.
5) When you get the confirmation text on the page, click Finish. The system will now send a notification email to the assigned Coach. And another email will be sent to the applicant relaying the information about their Coach. You can review the email notification sample here.
6) To view the current Coach assignment, scroll down on the applicant record page to the ‘Training Coach Assigned’ section.
Note: The Volunteer Intake Coordinator can change the Coach assignment at any time by going through the same steps indicated in this guide.
- Review the Role of a Coach, if not already completed.
- Review the steps of Onboarding a Provisional Volunteer.
- Review the Onboarding Checklist with the provisional volunteer. Onboarding should be accomplished during the 90-day provisional period. Click here to see how to extend onboarding timing.
- Once the notification that a Coach has been assigned is received, you can access the application record by going to the Home Page and selecting Coach Applications under My Volunteer Onboarding.
- You will then be able to view all provisional volunteers assigned to you and as their Coach, you can click View to open their application details page.
- Once on the provisional volunteer’s application page, update the application by clicking the drop-down arrow and clicking Update Application.
- Assign the correct Training Classification. Then, mark the requirements on this window as Completed or Not Completed. Click Save when done.
- When the provisional volunteer completes all the online training requirements, volunteer profile, and updates from thc coach then their application will show Complete on the Complete Onboarding Requirements field. The system will also automatically move them to Active. Note: No emails are sent out by the system when this happens but the newly Active volunteer should see that their homepage has changed and they now have access to see more client information.
Notes for the Coach
1) A Coach needs to update the application to assign the correct Training Classification.
2) A Coach needs to update the application to mark the following onboarding requirements (#1,5-7,10-13) as Completed or Not Completed.
3) A Coach needs to review that the provisional volunteer has completed their Volunteer Profile according to their classification.
Note: For Mentors and Subject Matter Expert classifications, they need to update and complete this section on their profile page: Volunteer Profile Information Displayed on the Website
And all classifications are required to complete this section on their profile page. Volunteer Demographics
Here's the full guide on how to access the profile page in Engage: How to: Update Your Profile (Engage)
Add a Provisional as a Co-Mentor - Coach Only
For provisional volunteers who have selected Mentor as a classification, they are required to complete 3 co-mentoring sessions. They can be added as co-mentors by their coach who is the lead mentor or they can also co-mentor with other mentors (other than their coach).
Co-mentors can be added at the time the original session is entered or by editing an existing session. Below are the steps in adding the co-mentor by editing an existing session.
Note: Engage will only allow you to edit a session within the current month. It locks the session after the 5th of the next month.
- Follow steps 1-10 of Recording a Mentoring Session. Or, if the session has already been created, follow steps of Edit a Mentoring Session.
- Check the box to Add hours for Co-Mentor 1 and click Next.
- Check the box next to the name of Co-Mentor 1 then click Next.
- Click Next again on the confirmation window.
- Enter hours for Co-Mentor 1 and click Next. If there is another co-mentor to be added, click the box to Update or Add Another Co-mentor. Otherwise, proceed to step 6 below.
- You will then be asked to review the client’s information for accuracy. Please review the client’s demographic information and make updates to any inaccurate information. Then click Next.
- Then, also review the client's business information on the next page. Once you have completed the review and provided updates, click Next.
- You have successfully edited the session and can click Finish.
Extend Provisional Onboarding Timeline
Note: A Coach, Volunteer Intake Coordinator, or Chapter Manager can extend a volunteer’s onboarding timeline by an additional 60-90 days.
- Access the Volunteer’s application page and select Update Application.
- Locate the Provisional Onboarding Override field. Select ‘Extra 60 days’ or ‘Extra 90 days’, and then click Save.
Add a Note in the Application
A Coach may want to keep notes on how the volunteer is tracking against their training goals, note feedback on interests and trainings, or log notes from meetings. Coaches can now do this on the Volunteer’s Application.
- Coaches can enter notes on the volunteer’s Application. From the related list on the right, click the New button under Coach Comments.
- Type the note in the text box field and click Save & New if you have an additional note to enter, or click Save to exit.
- To edit an existing note, click the drop-down arrow next to the note and select Edit.
- Edit your comment and click Save when done.
Add a Task
The Volunteer Intake Coordinator can leave tasks in the application record and assign them to the coach or interviewers. Here are the steps for the VIC to add a task in an application record.
1) From the Home Page, select Applications by Status.
2) Locate the application record from this page and click View.
3) On the application record page, find the Open Activities section, and click the New Task button.
4) Fill out the task and click Save when done. Note: Changing the Assigned To field means that this task will only be visible for that user.
5) When a task is assigned to you, it will be displayed on the lower right-hand side of your homepage.