How to: assign a coach & onboard a Provisional Volunteer
Audience: Coach, Volunteer Intake Coordinator, Chapter Manager
Once a prospective volunteer has completed the interview phase and is accepted by the chapter, they move to Provisional status. The Provisional volunteer will receive a welcome email and passport to the system. The provisional period lasts 90 days and it is during this time that the volunteer needs to complete all the onboarding requirements.
Table of Contents:
- Assigning a Coach
- Onboarding Process
- Manual Update Needed by the Coach
- Extend Provisional Onboarding Timeline
- Add/Edit a Note to Provisional Volunteer’s Profile (Coach)
- Co-mentoring & Event Participation
Assigning a coach
The Volunteer Intake Coordinator is responsible for assigning a coach to Provisional volunteers. Once a coach is assigned, the volunteer and coach are notified via email. The volunteer is able to review and begin new training requirements and the Coach guides the Provisional volunteer through the Onboarding Checklist.
- From the Home Page, select Applications
- Type ‘Provisional’ into the search box to find the correct record. Once identified, click View
- Click the Assign Coach
- Check the box next to the name of the Coach you would like to assign and click
- You will receive a message box that the Coach has been assigned and you can click Next
- To view the current Coach assignment, scroll down on the applicant record to the ‘Training Coach Assigned’ section.
Note: for anything that is new/has changed
- Review the Role of a Coach, if not already completed.
- Review the steps of Onboarding a Provisional Volunteer.
- Complete the Onboarding Checklist, which should be accomplished during the 90-day provisional period.
- Once the notification that a Coach has been assigned is received, you can access the Provisional volunteer’s record by going to the Home Page and selecting My Applications (Coach).
- You will then be able to view all Provisional volunteers assigned to you as a Coach and the status of their Onboarding Requirements. Click View to review the profile of the Provisional volunteer.
- Once in the Provisional volunteer’s profile, you can update the application anytime by selecting the drop-down arrow and clicking on Update Application.
- Once on the profile of the Provisional volunteer, scroll down to review Key Application Progress Dates and the status of the Volunteer Onboarding Requirements. Note: Coach Updates are required for requirements 1, 4-7, 10-13.
Manual Updates needed by The Coach
Note: Coaches will need to go into the system and make updates to the Provisional Volunteer’s Profile as they complete their training requirements.
- Access the Volunteer’s Profile and by using the drop-down arrow select Update Application.
- The following dialog box will appear where you can manage the training requirements and volunteer’s Training Classification.
- To update the volunteer’s Training Classification, click on the drop-down field and select the appropriate value.
- To update the status of the training requirements, use the drop-down menu directly under the requirement and select the status.
Extend Provisional Onboarding Timeline
Note: A Coach, Volunteer Intake Coordinator or Chapter Manager can extend a volunteer’s onboarding timeline to by an additional 60-90 days.
- Access the volunteer’s Scroll down to Volunteer Classification and Status.
- Click on the Pencil next to Inactive Override. Select ‘Extra 60 days’ or ‘Extra 90 days’. Click Save.
add/edit a note to Provisional Volunteer Profile (Coach)
A Coach may want to add or keep notes on how the volunteer is tracking against their training goals, note feedback on interests and trainings or log notes from meetings. Coaches can now do this on the Volunteer’s Application.
- Coaches can log notes on the volunteer’s Within the Coach’s comments section, select New.
- Type the note in the textbox field and click Save New if you have an additional note to enter, or click Save to exit.
- To edit an existing note, click the drop-down arrow next to the note and select Edit