Welcome to SCORE
Congratulations and Welcome to SCORE! We are delighted that you have joined us in helping entrepreneurs and small business owners live their dreams. The leadership of this chapter is committed to maintaining high-quality standards and performing for our clients at the highest possible level.
The purpose of this handbook is to help you "learn the ropes" as quickly as possible so that you can function effectively as a member of our team on the fastest viable timetable. The handbook will address everything you will need to know to operate as a volunteer in our organization. That being said, please feel free to ask chapter leadership or other chapter volunteers if you have any questions.
As a new volunteer, you are on a 90 - day provisional period to give you adequate time to successfully complete the orientation process. The following is a brief overview of the orientation process:
- You have been assigned a Training Mentor who will serve as your “coach and key contact” during your orientation. He or she will guide you through the required administrative processes as outlined in this Orientation Handbook. In addition, you will co-mentor together (if that’s the role you choose), and s/he will arrange co-mentoring with other experienced mentors so you can gain more experience with the mentoring process.
- This Volunteer Orientation Handbook contains the basic information to put you on track to be a successful SCORE volunteer. It is expected that you read & complete all sections of the handbook within your 90 - day provisional period. As you review each section, your Training Mentor will validate y our learning and sign the New Volunteer Orientation Check List. When you have successfully completed all sections of the checklist, your orientation is complete.
- You should have already received an email from the SCORE Association Office in Herndon, Virginia that includes information on how to access the Volunteer Center (members only) portion of the SCORE website. The Volunteer Center provides many details that you will need to be aware of as you become involved in SCORE. If you have not received this email, please double-check that your information was accurately added to the chapter roster and that the email did not go to the Spam folder.
- After you have received this email from the SCORE Association Office, I encourage you to access the Volunteer Center as soon as possible to become familiar with the tools and services available to you. In addition, you are required to complete the online Mentoring Methodology certification as well as the Volunteer Orientation, found in the Volunteer Center, within your 90 - day provisional period.
- At SCORE, we survey all new SCORE volunteers after their 90th day. We understand how important your onboarding experience is to enable your future success. Your feedback is very important to us and we'd like to hear directly from you about your experiences during your first 3 months with SCORE.
Good luck with your career in SCORE. Our chapter leadership is ready to help you in any way possible to ensure that your SCORE experience is both enjoyable and rewarding. Please feel free to ask anyone for help; be sure to let us know if any areas emerge in which assistance would make you a happier or more effective volunteer.
Whether you are a mentor or volunteering in another capacity, we again thank you for making the decision to share your business knowledge and expertise to assist the next generation of entrepreneurs. We look forward to working closely with you as we continue to build our chapter.
SCORE Volunteers and Staff