Recognition is important in any volunteer organization. Our amazing volunteers play an important role in SCORE's mission and success. They are what makes SCORE the flourishing organization that it is today. We know that recognizing volunteers is an easy way to not only show our appreciation but also motivate them to continue working toward SCORE's mission. However, we can't do it alone. We encourage each chapter or district to adopt their own recognition program so that our amazing volunteers do not go unnoticed.
SCORE HQ's Volunteer Spotlight program to showcase our amazing volunteers to the rest of the organization. This extremely popular program consists of emails sent out to all volunteers and staff once a month. These emails contain pictures, bios, and Q&As with outstanding volunteers.
- View past Volunteer Spotlights.
- Do you know of a great volunteer who deserves to be recognized? We would love to hear about it! Email us: email@example.com.
Ways to Recognize Volunteers in Your Chapter
It is important to thank volunteers who help make your chapter successful. Here are some helpful ideas for recognizing volunteer contributions.
- Informal recognition. Informal recognition should happen on a regular basis throughout the year. Personalize each thank you—write a note on SCORE letterhead, publicly thank volunteers at your meetings or write a note of thanks in your chapter or district newsletter.
- Volunteer appreciation events. Events provide motivation for a continued commitment from SCORE leaders. National Volunteer Week in April and the end of the fiscal year are the best times to formally honor volunteers. Ask local businesses to donate funds to support a recognition event. To find out more about National Volunteer Week, visit the Points of Light Foundation.
- Volunteer awards. Celebrate the successes of volunteers by creating awards for your peers—for example, best volunteer recruiter, top performing online counselor or best long-term business mentor.
- Service recognition. Giving volunteers some memento for their service can make their accomplishments more meaningful. Consider giving volunteers a certificate or other SCORE recognition item through the SCORE Store.
Expressions of gratitude are easy to implement and show chapter volunteers their service is appreciated and valued.
Everyday Ways to Recognize Volunteers
- Take a deserving volunteer to lunch.
- Put a mentor’s picture on the bulletin board with news of their accomplishment.
- Send a thank you note.
- Post a SCORE volunteer of the month/year on your chapter website.