The Business Scholarship Program©,
A SCORE Chapter 255, Ventura County program, Jan 2012
What is The Business Scholarship Program©?
The Business Scholarship Program is an offering of any 5 business workshops for new or existing small business entrepreneurs presented by SCORE of Ventura County. The workshops include 1. How to start and grow a business; 2. Marketing; 3; Financial management; 4. Business plan development; 5. How to manage and operate a business successfully; 6. Website development, marketing and social networking techniques; 7. How to do business with the government and 8. QuickBooks made easy.
The workshops are scheduled to run in the spring, (Jan-April) summer (June-August) and fall (Sept-December) of each year at different locations throughout Ventura County. Each workshop runs from 8:30 am to 3PM, generally on a Saturday and are presented by SCORE members and others expertised in those areas of business.
A sponsor or grant purchases any of the 5 workshops in the series and offers them to the business community in their market area; clients, minority owned businesses, vets, or their own company employees. This enables those who attend the workshop series an opportunity to learn how to start and succeed in their own business enterprise, or if already in business how to put together marketing, financial or business plans. The sponsor, if they wish, can determine who and how the scholarships will be awarded (or they can be disbursed by SCORE). This could present an exciting publicity campaign in each community for the sponsor and a website traffic drawing program as well.
The Business Scholarship Program can also be offered to existing small business owners or potential clients of the sponsor.The 5 business workshops in this category might include: 1. Marketing (building a marketing plan) 2. Financial management; 3. Business plan development 4. Managing and operating a business successfully and 5. Website Marketing, how to maximize website sales. Existing businesses get a great deal out of these workshops since most do not have a formal marketing, financial or business plan.
This part of the program can be targeted toward existing small businesses to help cement relationships for the sponsor or recognition.Again, the publicity can be exciting in each community served by the sponsor. This portion of the program could also be extended to NAWBO members (National American Association of Women Business Owners) thus helping minority small businesses in the communities as well.
The Over-all benefits
Each Sponsor or grant can realize the following benefits:
- Reaching out to the low to middle income community (LMI) in each market with a valuable, educating program that can reap the benefit of new clients or customers
- A program to help cement business relationships with existing customers and a means to attract new customers
- A measurable program to track how many LMI’s opened a new business, thus employing workers and adding value to the community
- Receiving the benefit of SCORE’s follow-up services that include free face-to-face counseling to help new businesses get started and succeed. Free onsite mentoring for existing businesses is also available.
- The promotional advantages of having SCORE include the sponsor’s name and logo on all printed workshop materials; Recognition of each sponsor at every workshop.
- Each sponsor’s logo and link to SCORE’s website that is visited by hundreds each month. (We are one of the top websites when anyone Google’s small business help in Ventura County)
- Being a good “citizen” to the small business community by improving the business acumen of recipients and improving the economic environment as well.
Each SCORE workshop cost $59. The regular price of $295 (5 workshops) would be reduced for this special sponsor program to $200 for each workshop series of 5.
Here is an example of the cost of 50 scholarships:
50 Business Scholarships at $200 each...........................$10,000
25 Business Scholarships at $200 each...........................$5000
There is no minimum purchase of scholarships, although the more scholarships purchased the greater educational, economic and marketing impact on the community.
SCORE® is a non-profit(501), all volunteer, national organization and resource partner of the Small Business Administration. SCORE, Ventura County Chapter, is one of 370 chapters nationwide and has been serving the small business community in Ventura County (and now Malibu) since 1971 by providing free, confidential face-to-face counseling,on-site mentoring, free seminars and low cost workshops. SCORE’s workshops are very well attended and received and are ongoing throughout the year.
SCORE believes this scholarship program, is a win-win for everyone concerned.
For additional information, please contact Michael Scottoat 805-338-1313.
Let me extend my sincere thanks for your consideration of this opportunity to help educate our business community.
Michael Scotto, Chairman, SCORE Chapter 255 Ventura County