June is National Safety Month
SCORE HQ marketing efforts focus on resilience materials and how small businesses can prepare or mitigate risks from setbacks and hardships, such as natural disasters, economic setbacks, and the recent pandemic situation throughout June - National Safety Month.
This renewed focus on support from SCORE will expand and highlight the growing set of materials in the Small Business Resilience Hub compendium of materials.
For more information on national marketing efforts and local marketing ideas, please visit the Field Marketing Editorial Calendar.
Spring 2021 Megaphone of Mainstreet: Unsung Entrepreneurs
SCORE's Spring 2021 Megaphone of Mainstreet: Unsung Entrepreneurs data report was released in May. The first two press releases related to the report focusing on immigrant- and veteran-owned businesses and have generated over 215 pickups in outlets including the Associated Press, Market Watch, Yahoo! Finance and more, resulting in a potential audience of 193 million viewers.
Emails That Speak to Your Readers
One of the most powerful tools in email marketing is segmentation. Rather than sending a blast email to your entire list, you can send an email with specific content to particular groups of people within your subscriber list through segmentation, resulting in better engagement.
How do you create segments in your Constant Contact list? There are a few ways to do this in Constant Contact.
- Signup Form. If you use a signup form in Constant Contact, you can allow subscribers to choose from different lists. In addition to a general email list, you can create lists for workshops, locations, business interests. Constant Contact also now offers landing pages so that you can create signup forms for specific interests.
- Click Segmentation. Constant Contact allows you to create lists based on what links users click in your emails. For example, if you have a monthly webinar promotional email and one of the webinars is about marketing, you can create a marketing interest list built on users clicking marketing-related links in your emails. How to do this:
- Click Insert Link.
- Underneath the link, check the box next to Enable Click Segmentation. If you haven't created a list yet, create it here. When making future emails, consider any related links to also segment to this new list.
For more segmenting options in Constant Contact, please review the following article: Understanding Contact Segmentation
Constant Contact Templates
Veteran Entrepreneurs Template
A new template has been pushed to all chapter accounts titled "Small Business Training Webinars for Veteran Entrepreneurs." This template features national webinars focused on veteran entrepreneurs, the SCORE Veteran Entrepreneurs landing page, and a vet entrepreneur success story. Please feel free to send this email as-is or customize it with local content.
Spanish Biz Success Tips
As part of SCORE for All for Hispanic Entrepreneurs and at the request of the Hispanic Committee, we will now provide a Spanish Biz Success Tips newsletter in all chapter Constant Contact accounts on the 3rd week of every month. This Newsletter will share Spanish-language events hosted by chapters across the country and new Spanish content published to SCORE.org.
It is optional for your chapter to send this Newsletter to local subscribers. You can send this email as-is or customize it with your local Spanish content.
We encourage you to segment your list and send this new draft to your Spanish-speaking subscribers. If you have any questions on how to customize a newsletter or segment your list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are currently running a three-part webinar series on Google Grants for Non-profits and how chapters can run their own local Google Ad Word Campaigns. All registration and recording links can be found below. Make sure to register separately for the last two webinars because they are separate links.
- May 12 at 2:00 PM EST: Intro into Google Ad Grants. View the recording on the Marketing Webinars page.
- May 26 at 2:00 PM EST: How to Create & Optimize Ad Grant Campaigns. Registration link
- June 9 at 2:00 PM EST: How to Create an Online Strategy for Your Chapter. Registration link.
The next Monthly Webmaster Webinar will take place on June 10, at 2:00 PM EST. On this call, we will review website image requirements and best practices. If you have not registered already, you can do so through the following link: Monthly Webmaster Webinar.
Q4 Ad Campaign Deadline - May 24:
The opt-in deadline for the Q4 social media ad campaign package, managed by our agency partner Hi-Per Local, is Monday, May 24. Ads will run from July 1 - September 30, and placements include Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Spanish language ad translation and targeting have been added as an option for both client and volunteer recruitment ad packages.
To opt-in, complete the following form by the deadline: https://bit.ly/35mpmjq.
Social Media Webinars:
The next monthly Social Media Webinar is this Wednesday, June 16, at 2:00 PM EST. If you have not yet registered or would like to review previous webinars, you can do so through the Support Center: Social Media Webinars.
WOW! MSN Money featured SCORE as #2 on their list of 50 great blogs every small business owner should be reading in a recent article. Make sure you are checking out our new blogs weekly for expert advice for your small business. Read the MSN Money article here: 50 great blogs every small business owner should be reading.
In this Associated Press article for millennials thinking about being their own boss, Ohio entrepreneur and SCORE client Lisa Licursi, owner of Elite Virtual Assistants, noted the value of having a SCORE mentor to navigate the process. SCORE is actively recruiting volunteers to help support our diverse and growing client base! Read the Associated Press article here: Millennial Money: Should you become your own boss?
Check out this great SCORE success story about client Dina Estrada, new owner of Ruiz Tires in Greenville, SC. A 25-year-old "Dreamer," Estrada said she learned early the values of hard work and staying connected. With parents who are entrepreneurs themselves, she said she grew up in an encouraging environment where she was taught that dreams could be achieved through persistence and dedication. She credits SCORE and her mentor Terry McKenney with helping her achieve success! Read more here: Hispanic entrepreneur Dina Estrada credits success to family, community and SCORE.
Chapter Best Practices
Has your chapter developed a best practice or established a process that has seen great results? If so, share it with us through this form: Field Marketing Best Practice Submission Form.
This could be anything from custom VolunteerMatch ads for specialty roles to effective web pages that drive results. To view recent submissions on various topics, please visit the Support Center page: Field Marketing Best Practices.
VolunteerMatch is the leading platform for volunteer recruitment, and all chapters have access to a free premium account.
Some best practices for increasing engagement can be found below:
- Frequently repost your opportunities through the one-click reposting tool. By logging into your chapter's account and reposting these opportunities, they will be filtered to the top of the search results and appear on the first page of opportunities.
- Keep opportunities around 100 words and break up the text with paragraphs and bullets for easy reading.
- Create a title with a solid call to action, and make sure it fits within the character limit.
- Make good use of the first sentence as this is visible to prospective volunteers as they scroll through local opportunities.
For more information on using this platform, you can review February's Marketing Webinar that focuses on volunteer recruitment. And if you have any questions regarding your chapter's VolunteerMatch account, please email email@example.com.
Chapter YouTube Accounts
Chapters can now create Recorded Webinars on chapter sites. If your chapter is interested in hosting recorded webinars on the chapter site, we recommend storing webinar recordings on YouTube as an unlisted video. You can do this by downloading your recording and transcript from Zoom and uploading it to your chapter's YouTube account, and marking it as "unlisted."
- If your chapter has a YouTube account, please add firstname.lastname@example.org as a Manager to ensure consistency in branding and help with access questions if there is volunteer turnover.
- If your chapter does not have a YouTube account, email email@example.com and we will create a channel for you.
SCORE Live Webinars
- May 27: 5 Steps to Plug the Hidden Money Leaks and Skyrocket Your Company's Revenue
- June 2: Are You the Next Veteran Entrepreneur? Vet-to-Vet Advice About Business Ownership
- June 3: Growing Your Business Globally - Three Fearless Female Founders Share the Keys to Success
Top Resources on SCORE.org
The Top Resources on SCORE.org document lists the top 25 workshops, resources, and keywords on the national website. This document is updated monthly, and we suggest bookmarking it for future reference.
Knowing what the most frequently viewed workshops and resources are on the national site can help you better understand what topics and content business owners are looking for. Your chapter can then take this data and use it to create localized resources around those topics to increase your chapter's website traffic and workshop attendance.